Winding Cables Scarf is a great project for those who would like to dip their toes in the world of Tunisian crochet cables. The repetitive pattern allows for sufficient practise of the technique creating a beautiful texture reminiscent of narrow countryside pathways.
The worsted weight yarn recommended for this project offers sufficient warmth for this item to be worn throughout autumn and winter, while having great stitch definition and drape.
The scarf would make a great addition to the Winding Cables Hat.
You can purchase the add free PDF version of the pattern at LoveCrafts here.
Chain, Tunisian crochet technique (alternating forward and backward passes), Tunisian knit stitch (tks), Tunisian purl stitch (tps), binding off in Tunisian crochet, blocking.
The final scarf measurements (blocked):
22 cm x 198.5 cm (approx. 8.5 x 79.25 in)
Materials and tools
The Women’s Institute Soft & Smooth (100% Acrylic, | Aran | 400 g (14.1 oz) = 660 m (722 yds)), Mustard (#70058) 1 skein (approx. yarn amount used is 360 g)
Tunisian crochet hook size 6.5 mm (US size K/10.5) with cable (at least 20 cm (8 in)) or size to obtain the gauge
Cable needle or a crochet hook of similar size as above
16 sts x 12 rows = 10 x 10 cm (4 x 4 in) over cable st pattern
Tunisian crochet stitches are worked in forward and return pass from right to left, with the number of stitches (loops) increasing on the hook during the forward pass and decreasing during the return pass.
Return pass is worked in the same way for all stitches (rows of stitches) used in this project as follows: 1 ch, *yrh, draw through 2 loops on hook, rep from * until 1 loop on hook.
Right edge stitch- This is the first stitch and is not usually worked into because there is one loop on the hook left after completing the return pass of the previous row. This one loop corresponds to the first stitch of the new row.
Left edge stitch- This stitch is referred to in the pattern as the End Stitch (ES) and is crocheted as follows: Rotate the end of the fabric towards yourself, insert the hook under both bars (left and right) of the last st, yrh and pul.
- First row of Tunisian crochet: Insert the hook in the back bump of second ch from hook, yrh and pul across. Standard return pass.
- Tunisian knit stitch: Insert the hook from front to back between the front and back vertical bar, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
- Tunisian purl stitch: Bring yarn to the front on the work and hook, insert the hook from right to left under the front vertical bar of the next st, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
- C3B: tks in next 6 sts, remove last 6 lps carefully from hook, place first 3 lps on cable needle and hold at the back of work, place second 3 lps back on hook, slide first 3 lps from cable needle back on hook crossing the second 3 lps.
- C3F: tks in next 6 sts, remove last 6 lps carefully from hook, place first 3 lps on cable needle and hold at the front of work, place second 3 lps back on hook, slide first 3 lps from cable needle back on hook crossing the second 3 lps.
Bind off: Insert hook from right to left under front vertical bar of the next st, yrh, pul and pull through the loop that is on the hook. One loop remains on the hook.
The Winding Cables Scarf is worked flat, RS facing from right to left.
The stitch count refers to the number of lps on hook on FP.
There are four cable st patterns (2 back and 2 front worked over 6 sts each) running in parallel with sts being crossed in the same row every 4th row.
Work tks sts in rows where sts cross over slightly looser otherwise the cables will look flat and stretched.
Row 1 FP: Insert the hook in the back bump of second ch from hook, yrh and pul across. 34 loops on hook.
Row 1 RP and all other RPs: Standard RP.
Row 2: TPS across.
Row 3: Tps in next 2 sts, C3B, tps in next st, C3B, tps in next 2 sts, C3F, tps in next st, C3F, tps in next 2 sts, ES.
Row 4: Tps in next 2 sts, tks in next 6 sts, tps in next st, tks in next 6 sts, tps in next 2 sts, tks in next 6 sts, tps in next st, tks in next 6 sts, tps in next 2 sts, ES.
Rows 5-6: As Row 4.
Rows 7-234: Rep Rows 3-6.
Row 235-236: Rep Rows 3-4.
Row 237: As Row 2.
Row 238: Bind off.
Weave in ends and block to final measurements.
|ch- chain||yrh- yarn round the hook|
|st(s)- stitch(es)||pul- pull up a loop|
|lp(s)- loop(s)||FP- forward pass|
|tps- Tunisian purl stitch||RP- return pass|
|RS- right side||approx.- approximately|
|tks- Tunisian knit stitch||rep- repeat|
|ES- End stitch|
For endless crochet inspiration, you can subscribe to AllFreeCrochet website here.