The Helen Shawl is a great accessory for transitioning weather, light enough to throw on during autumn /spring mornings for that extra layer to keep the cold away. The shawl is made in Tunisian crochet with four different stitch patterns and various techniques, including the very popular Honeycomb stitch and two types of lace. This project is engaging and step up for any beginner that wants to move beyond Tunisian simple stitch worked in regular shapes. The yarn for this project is a fantastic blend of cotton and acrylic available in multitude of colours that results on fantastic stitch definition.
This pattern was featured in Crochet Now Issue 54.
You can purchase the add free PDF version of the pattern at LoveCrafts here.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you. This helps to cover the running cost of the website and enables me to continue making free patterns.
Please NOTE that this pattern is subject to copyright and is my intelectual property. The online version is for personal use only. Do not re-publish or sell this pattern in part or full, or make video tutorials of it. Any such actions are a breach of copyright and can result in legal action.
Chain, Tunisian crochet technique (alternating forward and backward passes), Tunisian simple stitch (tss), Tunisian purl stitch (tps), Tunisian small cluster lace stitich (tscls), Forward pass after Tscls (fpcl), Tunisian mesh stitch (tms), Forward pass after tms (fptms), binding off in Tunisian crochet, blocking.
The final shawl measurements (blocked): 139 x 114 x 177 cm (54.75 x 45 x 68.75 in)
Materials and tools
Scheepjes River Washed (78% Cotton, 22% Acrylic | Sport/Baby | 50 g (1.8 oz) = 130 m (142 yds), Mersey (#961) 9 skeins
Tunisian crochet hook size 4.5 mm with cable (at least 100 cm (39.5 in)) or size to obtain the gauge
Blocked Gauge: 17 sts x 14 rows = 10 x 10 cm (4 x 4 in) over st pattern.
Tunisian crochet stitches are worked in forward and return pass from right to left, with the number of stitches (loops) increasing on the hook during the forward pass and decreasing during the return pass.
Return pass is worked in the same way for all stitches (rows of stitches) used in this project as follows: 1 ch, *yrh, draw through 2 loops on hook, rep from * until 1 loop on hook.
Right edge stitch- This is the first stitch and is not usually worked into because there is one loop on the hook left after completing the return pass of the previous row. This one loop corresponds to the first stitch of the new row. HOWEVER, this pattern calls for increasing into this very first stitch, please see detailed row by row pattern instructions below.
Left edge stitch- This stitch is referred to in the pattern as the End Stitch (ES) and is crocheted as follows: Rotate the end of the fabric towards yourself, insert the hook under both bars (left and right) of the last st, yrh and pul.
- First row of Tunisian crochet: Insert the hook in the back bump of second ch from hook, yrh and pul across. Standard return pass.
- Tunisian simple stitch: Insert the hook from right to left under front vertical bar of the next st, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
- Tunisian purl stitch: Bring yarn to the front on the work and hook, insert the hook from right to left under the front vertical bar of the next st, yrh and pul. Standard return pass.
- Tunisian small cluster lace stitch: This stitch is worked on RP; *2 ch, yrh, draw through 4 loops on hook; rep from * to last 2 loops on hook, 1 ch, yrh, draw through 2 loops on hook.
- Forward pass after Tscl: Insert hook in the front loop of 1 ch, yrh and pul, insert hook in the back loop of same 1 ch, yrh and pul, * [insert hook in the front loop of the next ch of 2 ch, yrh and pul] twice, insert hook in the back loop of ch just worked into, yrh and pul; rep from * to last 2 ch, insert hook in the front loop of the next ch of 2 ch, yrh and pul, ES.
- Tunisian mesh stitch: yrh, miss next front vertical bar, 1 Tss in the next front vertical bar.
- Forward pass after Tms: Insert hook from right to left in next yrh loop, yrh, pul, *Tss, insert hook from right to left in the yrh loop, yrh, pul; rep from * to last st, ES.
- Modified Tunisian front post double crochet stitch: Yrh, insert the hook from right to left under the front and back vertical bars 2 rows below, yrh, pul, yrh, pull through 1 loop, yrh and pull through 2 loops on hook. Standard return pass.
Bind off: Insert hook from right to left under front vertical bar of the next st, yrh, pul and pull through the loop that is on the hook. One loop remains on the hook.
This shawl is crocheted with RS facing throughout. Increases are made in the first stitch on every row by working Tunisian simple stitch in the first vertical bar (which is normally missed).
Take care not to miss the first stitch after the increase stitch, as this tends to hide under the increase stitch.
With MC, chain 2.
Row 1 FP: Insert hook in back bump of 2nd ch from hook, yrh, pul. 2 loops on hook.
Row 1 RP and all RP rows except for rows of tscls: Standard RP.
Row 2: Tss in first vertical bar, ES. 3 loops on hook.
Row 3: Tss in first vertical bar, tps, ES. 4 looks on hook.
Row 4: Tss in first vertical bar, tps, tss, ES. 5 loops on hook.
Row 5: Tss in first vertical bar, tps, tss, tps, ES. 6 loops on hook.
Row 6: Tss in first vertical bar, [tps, tss] twice, ES. 7 loops on hook.
Row 7 FP: Tss in first vertical bar, [tps, tss] twice, tps, ES. 8 loops on hook.
Row 7 RP: Tscls across.
Row 8: Tss in first vertical bar, Fpcl to end. 9 loops on hook.
Row 9: Tss in first vertical bar, tss across to last st, ES. 10 loops on hook.
Row 10: As Row 9. 11 loops on hook.
Row 11: Tss in first vertical bar, tms across to last 2 sts, yrh, miss next vertical bar, ES. 12 loops on hook.
Row 12: Tss in first vertical bar, tss, fptm to end. 13 loops on hook.
Row 13 FP: As Row 9. 14 loops on hook.
Row 13 RP: Tscls across.
Rows 14- 181: Rep rows 8-13 twenty-eight times. 182 loops on hook.
Rows 182-185: Rep rows 8-11 once. 186 loops on hook.
Row 186: Tss in first vertical bar, *tss, tps in the yrh loop; rep from * to last st, ES. 187 loops on hook.
Row 187: Tss in first vertical bar, *tss, tps; rep from * to last 2 sts, tss, ES. 188 loops on hook.
Row 188: Tss in first vertical bar, *tss, tps; rep from * to last st, ES. 189 loops on hook.
Rows 189-192: Rep rows 187 – 188. 193 loops on hook.
Row 193: Fasten off (See special stitches).
Weave in ends and block to final measurements as in schematic.
|st(s)- stitch(es)||RS- right side|
|ch- chain||Fptms- Forward pass after tms|
|ES- end stitch||FP- forward pass|
|tss- Tunisian simple stitch||RP- return pass|
|tps- Tunisian purl stitch||approx.- approximately|
|yrh- yarn round the hook||tms- Tunisian mesh stitch|
|lp(s)- loop(s)||rep- repeat|
|pul- pull up a loop||Bhchl- back horizontal chain loop|
|tscs- Tunisian small cluster lace stitich||Fhchl- front horizontal chain loop|
|Fpcl- Forward pass after Tscls (fpcl)|
For endless crochet inspiration, you can subscribe to AllFreeCrochet website here.
If you prefer to have all your craft inspiration in one place, FaveCrafts is definitely the place to go. Why not subscribe to their newsletter here so you would not miss a thing!
Let’s keep in touch! Subscribe below to be the first one to know about my new patterns, sales, pattern testing opportunities and all the good yarn related stuff!!